Catchy Names for a Business
Developing a Catchy Name for a Company or Product
There’s an old saying that “you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression” and that’s as true about people as it is for your company or product. Your audience will likely make a snap judgment about your company in a split-second solely based on your company name and you want to make sure you have a catchy business name that strongly represents what your new venture is and something they’ll remember.
You may have outstanding product selection, exceptional customer service or a clear technological advantage but… your potential customers may never know about these qualities if they aren’t interested enough to find out. They have likely already formed an initial impression of your business based on your business name and company logo which will make them decide whether or not they’ll learn more about you.
The right first impression can just make the difference between the success or failure of your start-up. One way to make the right first impression and actually grab the eye of your audience is by finding the right catchy name for your startup.
This is a sure way to start off in the good graces of your prospective clients but it’s also the best way to get them to remember you because after all if they don’t remember your business when the time comes and they need you, what’s the point?
So What Makes a Company Name Catchy?
Here are a few basic elements of a catchy company name, elements that set these names apart from the ordinary. We’ll start with the basics here then share the underlying factors later in this article:
- A catchy company name is short, generally between 6 to 10 letters in length. The longer the business name, the less likely it is to be remembered, and that’s exactly your goal.
- Catchy business names are unique. Now, that doesn’t mean your business name has to be crazy, it could simply you take a common name and use it in a unique way or even use a common word in a completely different industry then what people are used to (think Apple as a technology company).
- If you can’t get the exact match dot-com domain name for your catchy product name then you must move on, simple as that.
- A catchy business name is made more so by the addition of a catchy and crisp logo. A catchy and creative logo can help take a more ordinary name and transform it into something special. (Remember that your name and logo should work in conjunction with each other and not fight each other).
To give you some examples of catchy company and product names, take a look at these names developed by Brandings®:
6 Facts that Make a Catchy Company Name
Brandings® has undertaken meta-analysis of successful company names. We’ve deconstructed these names, ones that have stood the test of time and we’ve identified 6 key underlying factors which make company names catchy and memorable.
Here are some of the findings from our research:
- The catchiest company names are short in length and contain only letters. These names have no hyphens or numbers that can often confuse customers. If a number is used, we found that it is incorporated in a way that makes sense and increases the memorability of the name, for example 9ineteen.com.
- Catchy company names are easy to spell. We found the best names don’t have bizarre spellings. We also found that catchy names are composed only of English characters.
- Each of the most successful catchy business names work to engage and empower the customer. They stand out and create excitement. They are evocative and give the audience a sense of mission of distinction of the company.
- 96% of catchy company names has a pleasing texture and sound. When each name was said aloud, the name has a solid cadence and good flow (we call this the “it just sounds good” test).
- The visual designs of each of these catchy names were unique and memorable. Each of the names had a strong graphic image that reinforced the key evocation in the name. They captured attention without hitting in a powerful way.
- 100% of the catchy business names avoided puns and/or plays on words. Each name stood out on its own without trying to be too clever or too cool.
As we stated earlier, you must be able to acquire the dot-com domain extension for your name choice. In business today, you simply must own the dot-com domain extension. The dot-com extension is the “gold-standard” in business. Simply put, your audience will expect you to own the dot-com and if you don’t, you’ll just be sending people to the wrong site, possibly even your competition.
We have even more about developing a catchy name for your business on our blog page. If you’re interested in learning more, please check it out!
Check out some of these randomly generated catchy company names. Each of these names has been developed at Brandings® and is available immediately.
Find the Perfect Catchy and Memorable Business Name Now
Acquiring the perfect catchy company name that will stick in the mind of your audience has never been easier.
You can find thousands of pre-developed catchy business names and catchy domain names in Brandings® company name database. Just click on this link to search for the right catchy company name for your business. The best thing about our database is that you know that any company or product name that you see on our site comes with the exact match dot-com domain name; no more finding the perfect catchy name only to find out that the domain name has been taken; we already own the corresponding domain name to everything you see on this site!